Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Walking Dead Season 4 Trailer: Sanctuary

"Sanctuary. Those who arrive...survive."

If this trailer was on cassette tape - if you're old enough to remember cassettes - I'd have already worn it out. I can't stop watching this thing, and October can't come fast enough.


From about midseason on during season three, I was writing the Walking Dead recaps for the Journal's Speakeasy blog. I think I'll be doing it again. It ends up taking much more time than you might think; the reviewers get sent "screeners," so we can watch the episodes ahead of time. Which means I'd end up watching it two or three times during the week, and then write the recap, which always ended up being like 1,300 words that I'd try to whittle down.

So, after my day job, my family life, and The Walking Dead, well, that was pretty much every waking moment. Oh, and football, of course. Can't forget football.

You also lose a little of the excitement of seeing the show live on Sunday night with the rest of the fans, everybody screeching on Twitter and the text messages between me and my sister, and all that, you kind of get pulled out of that community a little bit, the visceral, holy sh..! moments that are so much fun.

On the other hand, it was kind of fun to do the recaps, to be on that other side. I'd never done that before, and it was a challenge to write good reviews, to capture the show, find the flaws, and to satisfy the readers who invariably are also heavily invested in the show.

One way or another, can't wait for Oct. 13.

"Sanctuary. Those who arrive...survive."

No comments:

Post a Comment